With annual plants you can enjoy flowering flowers in your garden for months. They are the annual summer bloomers such as the Lobelia that often seem to flower endlessly. You have them in all shapes, sizes and colors. They do not need much care, just always provide enough water. Then you can enjoy them until the autumn!
How to care for your Annuals
From the moment you buy your plants, they look good. But you also have to get started to make annuals even more beautiful, and keep them in top condition as long as possible. Of course, that only works with the right care...
- It is advised in gardening circles to wait to plant outdoor perennials and patio plants outside until mid-May when all risk of frost has passed.
- Almost all annuals and related plants prefer a sunny location.
- Provide good drainage so that the excess water does not remain in the pot.
- Pots with annuals have to get water almost every day in the summer. Even in the garden it may be necessary to water occasionally in dry weather.
- Plants in pots also need to be fertilised regularly. Easiest are liquid fertilisers or slow-acting fertilisers that are sufficient for the entire growing season. A start fertiliser has been added to some potting soils, so that you do not have to fertilise in the beginning.
- Many species (such as Begonia and Pelargonium) will bloom better and longer if you regularly remove the faded flowers.
Would you like to know more about our annuals? Please ask the staff in our Frosts Garden Centres for more information and advice. Our garden centres are located in Woburn Sands, Willington, Millets Farm and Brampton. We hope to see you soon!